Sunday, October 01, 2006

I'm not sure about this....


I haven't yet posted a sketchbook page and am not sure that I'm too comfortable about doing it. I am a perfectionist. I like everything to be clean and tidy and shown to in it's best light, and so showing a page out of my sketchbook actually makes me feel quite vulnerable. I think it's a good thing though. Being a perfectionist is a pain in the arse. You can spend a lot of time and energy chasing something that doesn't exist.

I'll call this EDM#4 'Draw a cup or a mug, and write something about it'. I've noticed that there is another challenge which goes something like - 'Draw a previous challenge in a different medium than you usually use'. Every time I look at this picture (it's a cup, by the way!) it makes me want to get the watercolours out - I'll perfect it then.

8 comments:

Hashi said...

As someone who's drawn to (and tends to create) messy art, I love your sketchbook page!

suzanne cabrera said...

It's scary to share things that you are unsure about, however, I will tell you from the little experience I have, it helps you grow. Sometimes I receive the most positive feedback on the sketches I feel the least comfortable with. This tells me that while I may not love something, that doesn't mean it doesn't have value for others. Personally, I think this is beautiful. Great job with the delineation of the cup's textures.

Jana Bouc said...

Seeing into another artist's sketchbook is a real treat. I love your handwriting--it's beautiful and unique. The cup is really cool--such interesting textures.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks for your comments. I do agree that it is scary sharing images you are not too sure about. You feel so exposed. But this is one of the reasons for starting this blog and joining the group. I want to take more risks with my work. I want it to keep on growing and getting a bit more messy! I always think, when I look at 'messy' art that it seems the artist really let go, they really had a good time and didn't get caught up with all those thought patterns - 'what will people think?' etc. So, heres to taking more risks! Cheers everyone.

SimoneladybugKnits said...

I think it's nice. I know what you're talking about, all of my drawings are pictures of my sketchbook, as you can see the lighting is not the best and sometimes the shadow of the flash comes out but it adds more mistery to it or so i wanna believe...lol My camara broke so now I have to wait until it's fixed to show my latest EDM challenges. :-)

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm lovin all your drawings, but I really like getting a peek into the artist's sketchbook. Yours looks wonderful-love your printing too....it looks like artwork all on its own!

Unknown said...

This page is amazingly beautiful! The illustration plus the handwriting and the little big detail of the color changing from up to down... I love it!

Anonymous said...

"in it's best light"? "it's always means "it is". In this case, just ITS is correct.By the way, GREAT work !