Thursday, January 18, 2007

sunset over Saudi


I've never really been into collage - as a medium to work in. I like to look at it; my favourite artist, Peter Blake, and one of my favourite children's illustrator, Lauren Child, both use collage brilliantly. But I find it difficult and, anyway, I just love drawing. I found these two pictures when looking, through my old sketchbooks, for something to post. They are kind of memory collages. About 15 years ago I went on a working holiday to Israel. While I was there I took a trip to the Sinai, Egypt. It was a magical time. From the beach, where I was staying, you could see across the sea to Saudi Arabia. In the evenings, as the sun went down, the mountains of Saudi seemed to soak up the sunset. The colours were just amazing, all purples, pinks and oranges. Magical. I made these collages when I returned home; trying to capture some of those colours and memories.


7 comments:

Pedro said...

Beautifull.

Teri said...

The colors are beautiful. It looks like you have it framed. Good choice for happy memories.

suzanne cabrera said...

Wow, you lucky duck! What a wonderful trip this must have been. I can't wait until I have the opportunity to explore this region of the world. The cultures facinate me! Your collages are wonderful. The evoke a definite mood. I wish I would have had them as reference a few days ago as my studio class had to create collages. I'm trying to show them other artist's work on a regular basis....this would have been great.

Felicity Grace said...

The colours in these are just beautiful! It reminds me of sunset when I lived in Dubai and the sky was that lovely light blue but the white buildings were glowing pink - it was my favourite time of day!

Thanks for a really interesting reply - I've replied on my blog. It would be wonderful to sit down and discuss psychology over a cup of tea with you!!

littlemithi said...

These are gorgeous ... infact they remind me very much of these souvenirs we saw out in Dubai. Seven different kinds (and colours) of sand (from the seven Emirates), in a box, each separated within clear perspex layers. So if you shook the box and then let the sand settle, you'd get landscapes like your collages!

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you guys.

These are definatley a one off! Collage is not the medium for me, but I do like these two - they bring back memories of an amazing trip.

It is a wonderful region - shame about the continual conflict, although it was relativley peaceful when I was there. I lived very close to the Gaza border - picking roses in the desert!

Evening was definatley my favourite time of day too Felicity. When the sun went down the colours just stunned me. Why is it everything turns the most amazing shades of pink? It is one of the lasting memories of that time and place.

I'd love to have seen those souveniers Mithi - I would definatley have bought one!

Cheers!

Colleen said...

I love these collages, wonderful mixed media. You have had such an interesting life. Europeans are able to travel to so many interesting places, with what seems like a minimum of fuss. I'm jealous.