Monday, July 02, 2012

resurrected

This has been in one of my sketchbooks for a while. I had no intention of posting it, but with The Stone Roses being all over the news this weekend (well, they are in this neck of the woods) I dug it out. Some time back I found this great photo, in old edition of Q magazine, of Ian Brown. The photo is by Jamie Beeden. I wasn't really looking out for anything to draw but as soon as I saw it I wanted to have a go.

I drew it using the upside down technique - no, I wasn't upside down, I turned the image upside down, see below, and drew it that way up (down?). Everytime I see a great balck and white portrait I want to draw it in that way. Black and white seems easier. With a colour pic it becomes too confusing, too distracting. I know it doesn't look like him. The eyes are huge (they always are when I use this technique. I don't know why?). The mouth is wrong too. Perhaps I shouldn't have even mentioned who it was supposed to be. But hey ho.  And, anyway, if you think this is bad then you should have seen what I did to poor Richard Ashcroft.

4 comments:

Heli said...

awesome

T. Roger Thomas said...

Great looking work

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you, both.

the quirky brunette said...

Your artwork just leaves me speechless - so much talent and creativity. Love it. I love that you use Moleskines as well and you're not afraid to 'christen' them! Just brilliant.