Wednesday, August 15, 2012

just singing a song

 Jeez, I haven't blogged for ages. In fact, it's taken me over a month to post these drawings. I made them on July the 14th which was International Sketchcrawl day, or Worldwide Sketchcrawl day, or something like that. Our drawing group, Sketchcrawl North, were in the gorgeous village of Tideswell for the day. For some absurd reason I was to organise the day and the weather was not looking good. So, before everyone else arrived I went to the church (or Cathedral of the Peak) to check that it would be okay to sketch in there - should the sun not come out.

When I got there I found a group of musicians practicing for a rehearsal they were giving, as part of Buxton Festival, later that day. They said that as long as we were quiet we could sit in on the rehearsal. Well, there's nowt quieter than sketchers.

The musicians were called The Frolick, a Baroque band, and they were amazing. I must say that I've never really heard this kind of music, and to be honest would never have chosen to listen to it (well, you know, I'm a Neil Young kind of gal) but it was an absolute privilege. And it was a lesson to me to not dismiss things before giving them a go first.

Needless to say we didn't move from the church the whole afternoon.

Some quick sketches of members of the band;



I absolutely love drawing to music. I always have but there's something about live music that is so exciting to draw to. I love the way the music becomes part of the drawing to the point, sometimes, when you lose yourself in it, the subject no longer matters. I dn't know how to explain it. I'm not so good with words, that's why I draw.

A big thanks to The Frolick for letting me, and my drawing friends, experience that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these. They feel really fun and the handwriting element suits it and adds to it :)

Kaitlyn S. C Hatch said...

I love drawing to music too. Love your sketches of the musicians. How cool to have a multi-disciplinary creative session.

Unknown said...

How fabulous! Great characterful vibrating pictures. Plesae may I use the one of me for my facebook profile? :-)

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you, guys.

Yes, Jim, of course you may. there is another of you on my Flickr photostream (but it doesnt look much like you!),I'll send the link onto you via twitter.

Cheers.