Friday, August 17, 2012

still a wild seed

I first made this post over five years ago. I felt that I was just finding myself as an artist (apologies for that HORRIBLE cliche) in these early Moleskine sketchbook pages.

10th April 2007
"In my quest to draw everything in my house I stopped by the spice rack. I'm quite happy with this. It reminds me of the illustrations you'd find in recipe books from the 70's. Books that were usually called something like 'The Whole Food Kitchen'. The kind of book that gave you interesting ideas for things to do with lentils and chick peas. The type of book where you can still smell the patchouli wafting through the pages. I dream of illustrating one of those books. One day. One day...."

Well, I'm not done with the cliches. You know, if you work hard and really really dig what you do, it seems, you can make your dreams come true. Right, I'm not allowed to say anything more. For now.

11 comments:

MrCachet said...

As I see it (I haven't been following you for 5 years), this is just another example of how you've taken the common and made it Uncommon. I've enjoyed every post. This one is as good as the first.

Unknown said...

!!!

trinity8419 said...

A cliché is worn-out & meaningless... but a classic is something of lasting worth, it's timeless. Every artist has to develop & keep evolving their personal style - which you've done *quite* well! This earlier piece of yours is still a good piece - it's a classic :-)

Caroline B said...

I suspect you have a cookbook commission...?

Unknown said...

Well, I think I can wait a bit to say "I was sure" :)

Charlotte Burt said...

fabulous, love your work

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you, guys.

Caroline, you might be barking up the right tree!

I can reveal all, so to speak, soon.

Cheers.

zefir_edebiyat said...

very fine drawings...you have got your own style...nice blog...

Genine said...

Wow Andrea. I remember you posting this! I can't believe 5 years has gone by.

Congrats on all you have accomplished in that time. Your work is stunning.

Can't wait to see the new project ;)

mo said...

love this picture! it tells such a charming story ;)

can't wait for the reveal of the secret project!!

mo said...

i love this picture! and i can't wait to find out what it is you're working on ;)