Tuesday, August 27, 2013

up the Gherkin

Recently I've been organising the scans of all of the drawings I've made over the past few years and put them into folders and onto memory sticks etc. It's amazing the things you find to do when you have no internet. I came across a  bunch of drawings that I did for a job a few years back. It was for the launch of a new Cross pen (yes, THAT Cross pens). It was a great job. I was approached by Cross to make a series of drawings and to attend their launch night, at the top of the Gherkin (yes, THAT Gherkin). I had to draw a series of iconic buildings and I drew them in the only way I knew how - back then - in the form of souvenirs.

I remember it was a real quick turn around job and that I went right down to the wire with the deadline. Hell, I was still drawing them on the train down to London! So, unfortunately I didn't get to scan all the drawings. I'm particularly annoyed that I didn't scan the New York Museum of Modern Art in a snow globe. Still, it was one of those gigs that was a joy to do (and, let's be honest, it's not often you get to say that). Plus I got to watch the sunset at the top of the Gherkin and to see all the lights go on over London town. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

These are wonderful drawings and that DOES sound like a very fun project to draw Cross pens! I think that whole experience of going there and bringing your work to them would be so rewarding and thrilling.

Mooneybeams said...

Did I dream it or was there an entry where you talked about cross hatching and there was a video? I saw it at work (where YouTube is banned) and planned to look at it at home, but it's gone?

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks, girls. Yes, Katherine, sipping Champagne at the top of the Gherkin watching the sun go down was probably the best way to end a job! Plus, since, Cross have kept me supplied with various beautiful Cross pens.

Kim, you must have dreamt it! No, sorry, you didn't. There was indeed a post about a video I'd made. But the vid is till being edited, so I pulled the post until it's done which should be next week sometime.

Cheers, girls.

Lelia Sorokina said...

You did amazing job, I'm so glad for THAT Cross pens :)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fabulous. What a great company to be working with!